Slip and Fall Accidents

A slip and fall accident can result in serious injuries. When you suffer an injury in a fall caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the legal right to seek compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.

I was injured in a fall on someone else’s property. What should I do?

When an individual is injured in a store, public place, or property owned or maintained by someone else – whether because of a wet floor, a rug, icy pavement, cracked sidewalks, or other factors – the property owner or management will likely act quickly to reduce their liability. To preserve your legal rights, it is important that you document the accident, the scene where it occurred, and your injuries. Specifically:

Get medical attention immediately. Your health is the first priority. Allow first responders to examine you on the scene to determine if you need to go to the hospital. If you’re able to go home, follow up with your own health care provider as soon as possible.

Notify the property owner or management of the accident. Only state the facts. Do not admit fault. Do not sign anything. If a written report of your incident is made, ask for a copy of it. Confirm that the facts about how the accident happened, your injuries, and any statements attributed to you are accurate and correct.

Take photos of the accident scene. Conditions causing an accident can change quickly, whether through the actions of the property owner or management, the weather, or even lighting conditions. Photographs taken right away can be the best way to document what the conditions were when you fell.

Get contact information for any witnesses. This can include both store employees and fellow shoppers.

Do not provide a recorded or written statement. The insurance company or the property owner or employees of the business where you fell may ask for a recorded interview or your written statement about the accident. You should never agree to this because they may later try to use your statement to minimize their liability.

Do not post on social media. Even a seemingly harmless post or photo could be used to suggest that you weren’t injured or that your injuries are minor.

What kinds of
slip-and-fall cases do you accept?

Our attorneys have recovered compensation for clients injured in falls caused by negligent store owners, commercial property managers, homeowners, and governments. Some examples include:

  • Ice and snow on sidewalks and driveways
  • Elevators, escalators, and stairways
  • Wet and slippery floors
  • Inadequate handrails and fencing
  • Shopping malls
  • Parking lots
  • Sidewalks
  • Restaurants
  • Grocery stores
  • Office buildings
  • Apartment complexes
  • Government buildings
  • Construction sites

I fell at a store and they are asking me to sign a settlement paper. What should I do?

When you slip or trip in a public place, management or the insurance company may try to avoid responsibility or limit your claim by asking you to sign a release or even settlement papers before you have consulted with an attorney.

You need a lawyer on your side to ensure that you receive proper compensation for your injury.

The attorneys at our Beaver County law office can you help you consider all of the factors that are involved in your claim, including how the accident happened, your injury, current medical costs, future medical expenses, and the long-term financial impact a serious injury can have on your income.

What can McMillen Urick Tocci & Jones do for me?

Our personal injury attorneys work with expert witnesses to investigate the cause of slip and fall accidents. Proving a violation of building codes or maintenance or construction standards allow us to approach insurers and juries with hard facts, increasing the likelihood that your claim will be successful.

What if I can’t afford a lawyer?

Our lawyers handle slip and fall injury claims on a contingency fee basis. You pay no attorney fees unless we secure an award or settlement.